Monday, May 12, 2014

Mountain Dew Cake & The Hubs' Birthday

You might be thinking...What is Mountain Dew cake? Well there are a few different versions out there including Paula Deen's which is lemon based. My version however, is just a really moist yellow cake with a delicious glaze.
 
This recipe is very near and dear to my heart for a few reasons. This was the first recipe I made with my Nana, start to finish. She helped me make this for my now husband's birthday during one of our early years of dating. I try to make it for him at least once a year, usually during his birthday. My dad is also a big fan so this recipe is usually my go-to dessert for a family gathering.
 
This particular recipe my grandmother and I took from her small church's recipe book:

 
 
Ingredients:
1 box Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
1 small box Jello vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 c. Mountain Dew
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. milk
 
Glaze:
1 stick butter
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. Mountain Dew
 
Directions:
 
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
 
2. Spray bundt pan with cooking oil. 
 
 
3. Add dry ingredients together. Mix in Mountain Dew, oil, milk, and eggs.
 
 
4. Beat until all ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
 
 
5. Pour evenly into bundt pan.
 
 
6. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until done in middle (check with toothpick).
 
 
7. Add ingredients for glaze into pan and bring to a boil, stirring the entire time. Once brought to a boil, remove from heat and continue to stir. When glaze coats back of spoon, turn off from a boil.
 
 
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Check that cake edges are loose from pan with a butter knife.
 
9. Flip cake over onto flat surface and poke gently with a fork.
 
10. Pour glaze slowly over cake allowing it to soak it up. Continue until ALL glaze is soaked up by cake.
 
11. Slice and enjoy with a big glass of milk!
 
 
We celebrated my husband's 26th birthday in our quaint little apartment, away from both of our families, for the first time as a married couple. It was different to say the least but it was special in its own right.
 
 
Happy 26th Birthday Poppa! - Tucker Beans

 

 
Tucker and I decorated the apartment (not shown) with banners and streamers and sparkly "Happy Birthday" supplies! Hopefully next year we can out-do ourselves again!

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10