Monday, September 29, 2014

THE Best Chocolate Chip Cookies: From Scratch

 
A couple of weeks ago I got a hankering for some chocolate chip cookies. Ever since I got my red designer Kitchen Aid mixer (thanks Nana!) for a wedding gift, I try to use it as much as possible. So I found this recipe on Pinterest (are you following me? If not, you should :) #shamelessplug) and decided it sounded easy enough.
 
Well let me tell ya, these are the best dang chocolate chip cookies I ever tasted and it's a wonder because the recipe is not very detailed. So, I thought I would expand it and show you how I put my own little twist on it.
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 cups milk chocolate chips (recipe calls for unlimited semi-sweet chocolate chips but this is what I used)
 
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine shortening, brown sugar, and white sugar together in mixer. I combined them for about a minute on medium speed.
  • Add eggs and vanilla. Combine together.
  • Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until well combined and no lumps of dry ingredients remain.
  • Add chocolate chips (as many as your sweet little heart desires).
  • Scoop into perfect little balls and place on baking sheet. Use a cookie/cupcake small ice cream scooper to make sure they're all the same size. This ensures they will bake evenly.
  • Place in oven at 375 degrees to bake for 7-10 minutes. Depends on how golden brown your like yours. I don't like much golden on top so mine baked for about 7 minutes. Also, as you go, with each batch, the baking time gets lower as the oven gets hotter.
 
Finished product! Now enjoy!!!
 
These were a BIG hit with my coworkers and fellow grad students. They were gone before 11am!And believe me when I say I work with a bunch of health conscious people (a bodybuilder/ex-football player, crossfit freak, marathon runner, and tennis all-star...you can imagine how I fit in, "oh hey, I play rec league softball and used to be an athlete in high school about 8 years ago!") Anyways, make these! They're delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10