Monday, November 24, 2014

Christmas Crafts: Tomato Cage Christmas Tree

A few weeks ago I found this YouTube tutorial on Pinterest for a tomato cage Christmas Tree using deco mesh. It is our first Christmas in our apartment as newlyweds and I want to make it as special as possible! I also love to craft and this seemed like a neat project. It provided much needed stress relief from school work and the end product is a cute Christmas tree!

The Pinterest tutorial end product:

 
 
Here are the supplies I used to create my own Deco Mesh Christmas Tree:
 
-1, 33" tomato cage (hard to find this time of year but after multiple tries I found a few left at Lowe's and bought 2!)
-1, 21" green metallic deco mesh roll (Hobby Lobby)
-2, 30' rolls of ribbon of your choice (Hobby Lobby)
-1 pencil garland (Hobby Lobby)
-whimsical tree stuffer as topper (Hobby Lobby)
-scotch tape
 
Directions:
1. Tape the top stakes of tomato cage together using scotch tape. The tutorial calls for zip ties or others say duct tape, but I found scotch tape to work just as easily and I already had some on hand.
 
2. Start working the pencil garland around the cage starting at the bottom. Attach to cage as you work your way up and around until you reach the top.
 
3. Cut deco mesh in even length strips. I used a much wider roll than what the tutorial called for so I cut the strips in half and doubled them up. It was more work but resulted in the same look.
 
4. Double up the deco mesh strips and ruffle them together in the middle (see tutorial). Secure to pencil garland. Do this in all areas where pencil garland is and fill in holes using floral wire or pipe cleaners.
 
5. Cut 12" strips of ribbon in your desired colors/patterns. I used two different ribbons: a candy cane stripe & and a multi-colored glitter stripe. Attach using pencil garland and add in other areas to fill in using floral wire or pipe cleaners.
 
6. Fluff your tree where needed to get as much coverage as possible. Add your topper. It could be a big bow with long streamers of ribbon or a decorative spray like I added. I originally bought 4-5 different sprays all for this one tree but one large one was perfect on its own.
 
Here's my finished product:
 
 
 
I think it turned out pretty well for my first attempt at making one! I came across a second tomato cage deco mesh tutorial that uses a different technique. I'm hoping to make that one with my second cage.
 
You could do this with any color deco mesh and any accessories that you wanted. You could add ornaments or make one of these for any holiday! You can buy various sizes of tomato cages also. I think these would be great in kids rooms. It's something they could help with and pick out and decorate themselves.
 
So what do you think? Have you seen these/made them before? I would love to see your pictures if you try it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10