Thursday, January 15, 2015

Every Girl Linkup: Organizing 101

Today I'm linking up with Rachel over at Floral+Fudge to share my organizing tips! This year I've decided to participate in more linkups that aren't all necessarily fashion related. There is more to me & to this blog than just fashion so I want to share that as well! I hope you enjoy!

If you've been around this little blog for long, you know the hubs and I moved to Raleigh, North Carolina after getting married a little over a year ago. I am working on my PhD in textiles so we're not sure how long we will be in this area. We found the perfect little apartment that was pretty much brand spanking new and offered a large walk in closet and storage space. We quickly filled that up so I have had to get creative in with organizing.

Case in point: my jewelry!

 
Please forgive that this is actually the most unorganized this space has ever looked! The following 3 pieces I have on our large dresser:
 
1. Purple wire mannequin jewelry hanger - Marshall's - old: I picked this up a few years ago during my college days. While purple is no longer in the scheme of our bedroom décor, it serves its purpose. I really don't have a lot on this piece other than my summer neon statement necklaces & some bracelets at the bottom.
 
2. Eiffel Tower Ring Holder - Gifted - old: My best friend gifted me this Eiffel tower ring holder for my birthday after my trip to Paris in 2010! I love it. It holds my "nice" jewelry like my Pandora bracelet, sterling silver cross bracelet, and new diamond earrings I got for Christmas. I also throw a few statement rings on there.
 


 
 
3. Two-Tiered Glass Bowl - DIY: I shared the tutorial for this back when my blog was on Tumblr but I can't find the original post. It's very simple though and I found the info on Pinterest. I bought a glass plate, glass bowl, and glass candlestick at the Dollar Tree and some E300 glue at Walmart. I glued the candlestick to the bottom of the plate first and let it set (according to directions on glue) and then finished it by gluing the bowl on top. Simple, easy, inexpensive, and functional!
 
I put my bracelets on the bottom, dangly earrings around the side of the bowl, and my post earrings in the middle. Right now, it's a hot mess but I just haven't had the time or patience to fix it back yet.
 
My statement necklaces are my FAVE!!! After a few frustrating months of not finding what I wanted, I decided to buy a cheap bathroom towel rack and make the following:

 
 
Yes, it's color coded and it makes me happy! You can read the full tutorial & see original pics here.
 
Another area of organization that was new to married life was meal planning. Before, I ate out way too much or had dinner prepared by my family. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook, especially when I have time for it. But trying to organize meals for the week with a comprehensive shopping list and realistic time tables was a daunting task that I'm still trying to master. Here is what I started with in the beginning (January 2014):
 
 
I'm a type A, OCD organizer at heart so I started by making a home organization binder (that used to be a pretty white binder which matched the pretty monogrammed cover but school took over...). I made different tabs for meal plans, recipes, budget, cleaning, etc.

 
I found these calendar blanks somewhere online and used it to plan out meals for the whole month.

 
Then I started with the first week and listed the entrée, sides, etc. & compiled a shopping list at the bottom of the page.

 
For recipes, I found these blanks (again online but I don't remember where) and started filling them in with recipes as I made them. I shortly fell off the bandwagon with this one. I've added to it here and there but not like I wished. I've found Pinterest to be a better place. I pin the recipe, pull it up on my iPad while cooking and it's always there and paperless.
 
 
I also printed this wonderful cleaning calendar that I think is very simple and easy to follow. I tend to do my dishes/laundry right away but save the dusting, vacuuming, and mopping for one big cleaning frenzy on the weekend. Our apartment is small so it doesn't take me an hour to clean the whole thing top to bottom. I like to do it all at once and enjoy the "CLEAN"!

 
And then there's this one which I just have to LOL at. I usually do pick out or have a few ideas in my head of what I'm going to wear in the morning, but writing it down, really?! Clearly I had expectations of a lot more free time during my PhD program than what I do. But, don't get me wrong, my organizing heart goes thump-thump at the site of this planner. Maybe I'll work it into my blog planning?!
 
 
So here's what I use now, sometimes (haha): I snagged this cute chalkboard for my "red" kitchen at Hobby Lobby before we got married. I plan it out every Sunday night and pretty much stick to it other than shifting some nights around here and there. I usually snag my recipes from Pinterest, fill in the gaps of the pantry, and then make my board.
 
 
And just because I think my aprons are cute...here's how I organize those as well :)


 
I snagged this kitchen hanging rack at Hobby Lobby...so cute, if I do say so myself!
 
Well, I think that's ALL folks. I could share my planner but that's a whole 'nother post! I can't wait to read everyone else's posts and steal some great ideas!! Hope you were inspired by at least one of mine!





6 comments:

  1. I love your towel rack full of beautiful statement necklaces!
    All of your charts are awesome,
    and I especially like the meal-planning chalkboard!
    I definitely need one of those :)
    Thanks for linking up, Meredith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rachel! So glad I found you in the blogosphere!

      Delete
  2. Look at all your gorgeous necklaces! LOVE!

    Elizabeth
    www.allkindsofthingsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The towel rack for your necklaces is brilliant! And keeping all those charts looks so helpful in keeping organized!!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10