Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Show & Tell Tuesday: Our Love Story

Today I'm linking up with Andrea for Show & Tell Tuesday! I'm so excited to share mine and Travis' love story...all in one place! I can't wait to link up and read everyone else's stories too!
 
 
Travis and I met in high school when I was a sophomore and he was a senior. Somehow, we managed to make it through k-12 in the same school district without ever meeting one another until one day when I spotted him in the cafeteria and it was love at first sight...but, really, it was! I knew he was special...he was handsome, laughing, and studying calculus...the full package, right?! I had been praying for sometime that God would be preparing my future husband for me. I started praying about Travis and wanted to guard my heart in case his feelings weren't reciprocated.
 
A couple of our mutual friends let him know I "liked" him and he started emailing me around Thanksgiving. We still joke about the day he finally came and sat down at my lunch booth to eat with me. I spent the next very loonngg 25 minutes staring out the window, trying to avoid all eye contact, while eating my peanut butter sandwich! I was so nervous!!
 
I was still 15 and not allowed to officially date so my parents dropped me off at the movies for our first date on December 4th, after 3 weeks of "talking." You know you've found a good one when a 17 year old, senior boy, is willing to date the shy sophomore dropped off in a minivan outside the movie theater on a Saturday night! He shook my dad's hand and I knew we were off to a good start! We started "dating" three days later, on December 7th, 2005. The next few months we spent talking for hours upon end and enjoying all of your typical high school couple things, like prom!

 
Our first prom, 2006.
 
Neither Travis or I had ever dated anyone before so we were each other's first girlfriend/boyfriend. It's a special thing that we still share to this day, as we've never dated anyone else. It pays to wait for true love! This prom wound up being the absolute best out of all three we attended!
 
 
Travis also spent the majority of the winter coming to support me at all of my high school basketball games, back when I was a baller. #shotcalla
 
 
I know this picture is blurry but it's the only one I could find from Travis' high school graduation. I still had two more years of high school left and Travis went to college about 45 minutes away. He commuted from home though so we still got to see each other a lot on the weekends.

 
The summer before senior year, we went to Bible camp together. It was my third year and I was so excited for Travis to come with me.

 
Our junior prom when I dressed up like a lilac cupcake...what was I thinking?! I loved this dress at the time. I practically starved myself to make sure I could fit into it since it was a size smaller than what I really wore. Seriously...what was I thinking?

 
 
I graduated in 2008 and was off to the University of Kentucky to double major in Family and Consumer Sciences. This pictures is from our third dating anniversary...the first time I made this brownie recipe.

 
Family vacation 2008 in Destin, Florida.

 
Family vacation 2008 in Destin, Florida.
 
 
When I went to college, the time we got to spend together quickly lessened. I came home on the weekends to see him and we learned to do a semi-long distance relationship. It worked and I found that distance definitely does make the heart grow fonder.

 
Easter 2009

 
Celebrating Travis' 21st birthday.
Travis and I, neither one, partake in alcoholic beverages and aren't the party type, more of the hang with friends type. Needless to say, we did not have the typical college 21st birthday celebrations.
 
 
In 2010, Travis graduated college and he was off to the real world.
  
 
On December 26th of 2010 he finally popped the question! Nothing glamorous but it was so sweet and special! Of course I said yes, after 5 years of dating!
 

 
Kentucky alumni game 2011
 
We spent the next couple of years struggling with when the right time would be to get married. I was still a junior in college and we knew we wanted to wait until I graduated. I already had plans to get my PhD though so we weren't sure when the "perfect" time was.
  
 
In 2012, we ran about 8 5Ks and 5 mile trail runs! It was fun and was great couples therapy...LOL!

 
We finally took engagement pictures in the fall of 2012 because we had set a date for December 7th, 2013, on our 8 year dating anniversary!
 
 
Wedding Shower 2013
 
 
I though this day was never going to come!

 
It was the BEST day! More than I ever could have hoped for or dreamed of!

 
 
Finally MARRIED after 8 years!!!
 


I hated to see 2014 come to a close! It was THE best year of my life.


Although we moved away from family and started new jobs, it was the best experience for us. It brought us so much closer together.


Our first married Thanksgiving 2014

 
We celebrated our first wedding anniversary, and 9 whole years together, at the Biltmore.
 
Now, coming upon 10 years together, it is crazy how fast the time has flown by. I cannot fully put into words what Travis means to me. He has been there for me in so many ways and helped me make so many tough decisions. I know it's cheesy, but he is my best friend, who I can tell everything and vice versa. He knows me better than anyone and I couldn't do life without him! Now we get to live life together, and I can't wait to see where the next 9 or 10 years takes us!
 
p.s. sorry for all the mush! I couldn't let the opportunity to capture our story on the blog pass me up!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your recent marriage! I got married in 2014, so I felt like it was the best year ever, too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sarah! Congratulations to you and your husband as well! Being newlyweds is great!

      Delete
  2. What a great story! The wedding picture with you in your fur coat is STUNNING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! My fur coat was one of my favorite details from the day!

      Delete

01 09 10