Friday, May 29, 2015

Friday Favorites: I Passed My Prelim Edition!

Hey there! Sorry, I know it's been a while...these past couple of weeks have been super busy as I prepared for my preliminary exam for my dissertation research proposal! So today, I'm recapping my favorites from the past couple of weeks!
 
1. Passing My Prelim Exam!!!!!
 
There are not enough exclamation points in the world to show how excited I am to have my prelim exam behind me. This past semester I wrote a 100 page research proposal including my review of literature, research objectives, and preliminary experimentations with conclusions and proposed next steps. I sent a copy off to each of my doctoral committee members and waited, fingers crossed, until my prelim two weeks later. Unfortunately, my grandfather passed away a few days before my originally scheduled prelim. I thankfully got it rescheduled for a couple of weeks later albeit with much stress due to limited committee member availability during the summer (insert frustrated emoji here). It really was starting to feel like I was never going to get it over with and I had been preparing for literally months.
 
I was super stressed the morning of and this was the first thing that popped up on my newsfeed:
 
 
 
 God truly makes me laugh! I know He brought this to my attention to put things in perspective and make me laugh!

Anyways, that afternoon I gave my hour long presentation to my committee, got grilled with questions for 30 minutes, and then sent out of the room while they all laughed about making me sweat it out for the next 15 minutes discussed my academic work this far into my PhD. Then, very anti-climatically, they shook my hand and said, "You passed," and went along their merry little ways while I did cartwheels inside and then proceeded to eat the 23 leftover chocolate chip cookies,  that I made from scratch the night before, that they didn't eat.
 
The hubs treated me to a nice steak dinner out and I guess, in the midst of my euphoria, it somehow slipped my mind that I was .001 miles away from a Versona Accessories store! The hubs so kindly mentioned this fact to me, willingly drove me over, and patiently answered 15 millions questions including:
 
"Isn't this cute?"
"Which one of these tops do you like better?"
"Wouldn't this be perfect for 4th of July?"
"Should I get this necklace, it's only $4 on clearance?!"
"What about this purse? Do you like it?"
 
As we say in the south, "Bless His Heart." He was so generous in letting me steal another hour of his night to painstakingly consider every piece of merchandise in that store and come away with a couple of #fab new pieces:
 
 
Top: {Versona Accessories, similar*} Shorts: {JCP, old} Flats: {Marshall's, old} Watch: {Cato Fashions, old}
 
*I couldn't find this specific leopard top online but I linked a similar version I saw in store too.
 
I've been coveting a leopard blouse/button-up for quite some time but never found the perfect one until now! These are perfect for dressing up or down. I can wear this with a suit or a pair of denim.

 
Shorts: {Versona, similar*} Top: {Marshall's, old} Necklace: {Bijoux Boutique, old} Flats: {Walmart, old}
 
*It looks like they're sold out of these shorts online but they still have them in stores.
 
I had been eyeing these shorts online for a while now and happened right upon them in store and in my size! Love! The fit is great and they are perfect for hot summer weather.
 
2. My Brother graduated from College!
 
 
I wasn't lying when I said it's been a busy couple of weeks. My not so little, little brother graduated from Miami University last week! He was a four year student-athlete and is now going onto professional school for further study. I am so, so, so proud of him and wish more than anything that I could have been there to see him not only graduate, but step on the mound one more time.
 
3. A Day at the Zoo!
 
 
The hubs and I took a Saturday trip to the zoo this past weekend which helped keep my mind focused on something other than my impending prelim. The NC Zoo is a couple of hours from Raleigh and we arrived around 1pm. To say this place was packed would be a monumental understatement! We were instructed to park on the side of the road along with the 100 other crazy families arriving at the same time. We walked a mile to the entrance, stood in line to get tickets for an hour, and then stood in line again from one exhibit to the next. I praise you people with kiddos and strollers! I could barely get myself up and down the hills and trails let alone with a crying, screaming kid and double wide stroller. Shew! We had a great time though! It was truly a beautiful day to go and not super humid or hot. I took 800 pictures of the giraffes and lions and got maybe 2 that were decent. All in all, a successful day in my book!
 
4. Little Tucker Beans
 
 
After grooming two weeks ago!
 
It wouldn't be a blog post without this little guy included! He gives me so much comfort and stress relief and he doesn't even know it.

 
This was #obvi before grooming but it so suits him and the stage (gosh I sound like he's a child...but he is my child) he is in at the moment. He is totally the king of our apartment up on his throne looking out
 
5. Crafting & Baking
 
 
I've done quite a few crafts and baked a whole of goods here lately. I find working with my hands to be a great stress reliever, especially when I get a cute and yummy end product out of it! More to come on the blog for both of these projects: Summer Flip Flop Wreath & Ultimate 3-Layer Cookie Cake!

 
I guess that's all folks! For now...Have a Happy Friday and enjoy your weekend
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10