Monday, October 12, 2015

Insanity Review

Today I'm talking about fitness. Not a frequent topic here on the ole' blog but I'm excited to give a review on the Beachbody Insanity workout program the husband and I just completed!
 
I've always been an active person and was a varsity athlete in high school. I played both basketball and softball at competitive levels. In college I continued my fitness routine off the court, usually lifting weights, attending classes, and cardio on the treadmill. In graduate school, finding time to workout started becoming harder and harder. Those thesis deadlines don't wait! I had an elliptical in my apartment but after a long day at school/work the couch was calling my name instead.
 
After getting married and moving last year, we had a very convenient gym location at our apartment complex. But, who doesn't get tired of the same equipment and cardio machines?! So, I was super excited (and SCARED) when the hubs brought up the Insanity workout program back this summer. I mean, granted, I knew I was somewhat in shape (not a total couch potato) but, Insanity? Really? It's the toughest workout program on the market (for real...hardest workout I've ever done).
 
Thankfully the hubs motivated me to join in. I wasn't exactly going to sit on the couch and eat candy while watching him do it, now was I? So, after thinking it over, we started the 2 month (9 week) program on Monday, July 27th.
 
Here are my before pictures:
 


 
After the first fit test, I knew I was in trouble! Whew! We took our weights and measurements and recorded them and marked off the first workout (out of 56!). The program is 9 weeks with 6 workouts per week. The first month is lower level (but still super INSANE..pun intended) half hour workouts, followed by a week of recovery (yeah right...recovery my a**), and a second month of even crazier hour long workouts.
 
Please excuse the super sophisticated pics below (I don't even have hair/makeup done). This is my progress throughout month one.

 
In the first month I lost 6 pounds. Exercising everyday, instead of 2-3 per week, really made a difference. I also completely cut out soft drinks and cut back on the snacking/candy.
 
Month 2 was super hard!!! The semester was in full swing and we weren't getting home some nights until after 8 o'clock. Our workout time kept getting pushed back from 8:30 to 9:00 to 9:30, to even 10:00pm one night! For an hour long workout, that was not fun! But, the convenient part is you do the workout right in the convenience of your living room and there's no extra equipment required! Just you, Shaun T, and 60 minutes of pure hell!
 
Needless to say, we got behind by about a week. There were some events and nights that we just couldn't get a workout in. Instead of skipping the workout, we made them all up and wound up finishing a week and half later than normal. So 10.5 weeks total for us to finish.

 
By the end, I was over taking pics, measurements, and the dag on fit tests!!! We completed 5 in total! So here is my super classy bathroom mirror pic for the last workout ever!!! Take that Shaun T!!
 
I can definitely tell a difference in the way my clothes fit (my size 8's are falling off) and my body looks! I have abs for the first time since 8th grade!!! I have obliques and a baby bicep!! Plus, my clothes are fitting better than ever and even too big in the waist! As the hubs now says, "that booty be poppin." #allthecryinglaughingemojis

 
Overall, I lost 10 pounds and the hubs lost 13!! Together, we lost 19 inches (I lost 8, mostly around my waist, hips, and thighs...I gained some around my calf muscle and bicep!). I am super impressed with the results because I did not enter this with any intention to lose X amount of weight or inches. I wanted to switch up my workout routine, make it fun and exciting, and commit to eating healthier. All of which we both did and the results are a nice reward!!

 
Here are our fit test results in case anyone has done this program before. Wow!! What a difference. Looking back, I really was so out of shape, worse than I knew! I will be so glad to have a break from power jumps, globe jumps, and suicide jumps!
 
Since completing Insanity (5 days ago....can you tell I'm addicted?) I've downloaded Beachbody On Demand which is a streaming service just like Netflix, HBO Go, & Hulu but for workouts. I'm trying out different workouts like T25, Insanity Max 30, and Insanity Asylum. I also did a preview of the 21 day fix total body cardio and boy am I sore?!?! We both can't wait to start a new program soon!!
 
What about you? Have you ever completed Insanity or any other Beachbody workout program? I would love to know your thoughts on how they compare!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10