Tuesday, December 22, 2015

DIY Christmas Ornament Wreath

With Christmas just three days away, I think it's about time I got this DIY Ornament Wreath tutorial posted to the blog! I planned to make one of these last Christmas but never had time to get around to it so it was first on my Christmas craft list to make this year.
 
 
Supplies:
  • Styrofoam wreath form (in any size of your liking)
  • Ornaments in multiple sizes and textures
  • Hot glue gun
  • Pack of hot glue sticks
  • Ribbon for hanging
I started with a foam wreath form I picked up at Hobby Lobby last year. I chose to use leftover ornaments that I no longer use on my tree. These were mostly bright colors like turquoise, purple, pink, and lime green. I bought some smaller red, green, and silver ornaments at the Dollar Tree on the cheap. I think the key is to get ornaments with different finishes (shiny, matte, glitter, etc.).
 
 
I started with the large blue ornaments and evenly spaced them around the form. Then I began filling in the inner and outer rims. After that, I started gluing around the top. At some point, you can no longer glue directly to the wreath form and have to start gluing ornaments on top of one another, making a triangle.

 
Finally, it all came together and most of the holes were filled. I did make a pit stop at Target for more hot glue (have a whole pack on hand) and found a pack of smaller multi colored bright ornaments that were great fillers. It really takes three sizes (large, medium, and mini).

 
Ta-Da!!! I wrapped a ribbon around the top and tied a bow for the wreath hanger.

 
It looks so great outside our door against the dark background!
 
I can still see a few holes but at this point, I was DONE! Next year I may fill in those holes along with repairing any damage it gets in storage. I decided to ultimately hang it inside our apartment door so we could enjoy it each day. Plus, I'm not sure how weather-proof this wreath would be and I love it too much to let it get destroyed by the wind and rain!
 
So, what do you think? Have you made an ornament wreath? I love wreath making and this is a fun, unique version different from the traditional deco mesh or burlap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10