Monday, July 18, 2016

PhD Graduation Party

 I recapped our 4th of July trip home last week but I wanted to share a few more details and photos from the fun graduation party my parents so generously put together and threw for me. Mom and I decided on a black, white, and gold theme. I lucked up with most of the high school graduation party decor items being on clearance since my party wasn't until the end of June. 


These "PHD" balloons were from Party City! I told my Mom the only thing I wanted as far as decor went were these super cute gold balloons as a photo backdrop. The huge white balloons with tassel garland came from Target. I scored them on clearance in the graduation party section for $5 a piece. They are supposed to float and the tassels hang down to the ground BUT...we didn't have a helium tank. So my AWESOME husband blew these up for me because he is too good to me! They wouldn't float so we improvised and hung them as a garland and they were perfect.


I had also mentioned to my sweet Mom that I had been looking for a sign that said, "She believed she could so she did." She surprised me by making this one with her Silhouette and gold glitter vinyl. She is the best! Can't wait to hang this in my office. And how gorgeous are those flowers and gold mercury glass vase?


The Dessert Table! 

The yummy cupcakes were from a local bakery (Sweets by Cindy).  The assortment of pies were from Burke's Bakery (also a local favorite).


I found these cute napkins at TJ Maxx and Home Goods that said "HOORAY!" and "Congrats Grad" in the black and gold theme.


We found gold cups for the sweet tea and lemonade and I picked up these cute black and gold straws and gold tin in the Target dollar spot. I found this "Love what you do" sign at Tuesday Morning on clearance. 


Travis does so much for me and is my rock through everything! I wanted to do a little something for him to let him know how much I appreciate him and also make him laugh.


I saw this idea on Pinterest and my Mom made it for him using her Silhouette and iron-on vinyl. Jury's still out if he will ever wear this in public. #probablynot



My sweet parents!

For the centerpieces, I purchased 8 glass mason jars at the Dollar Tree and spray painted them gold in different patterns. I did a few in solid gold, some just halfway up the jar, and others with wide stripes. I'll try to take pics of them soon as I plan to use them for decorative storage in our bathroom, closet, etc. It was such an inexpensive, easy, and cute DIY!

 We had white and black balloons blown up and placed them in the mason jars. We finished off the tables with gold tablecloths and white and gold circle centerpieces to go under the jars, We kept it simple and cute!


The party was hoppin'! What started as an idea to have a small cookout of close family turned into 70+ family and friends. I am so glad my parents went all out because we would never have been able to see everyone in the short amount of time we have when we come home. It was sooo good for my heart to see friends we haven't had the chance to catch up with in years! 

Also, an ironic/funny story. My parents rented the local volunteer fire station for the party. My Master's and PhD (aka the last 6 years of my life) were spent researching firefighter turnout gear! The irony of that didn't even hit me until we arrived to start setting up for the party and the total nerd in me had to scope out their turnout gear! ;)


Travis' Family


Our old small group family (minus a few and plus a few more since then)!


Can you say BABY FEVER?!?! #toocute


FRAMILY! These Friends are definitely Family!


He's always a good sport!


My face in this picture...LOL! It perfectly sums up how much fun we had at the party and also the next chapter of our lives. 

We are excited and also anxious for the big move and changes ahead. But I know that God has a plan and purpose for us and He is leading us to Tallahassee. So, we will follow, faithfully, and lean on him for comfort and peace as we step way outside of our comfort zone again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10